Although it this was not the first year for Beerunch, this was my first time attending. Hosted by MateVeza Brewing at Public House this event was held from 11:30am – 2:30pm on the first Sunday of SF Beer Week. It was a great event with tasty brunch bites, fantastic craft beer, and hosted at a great venue.
This event featured seven brunch dishes paired with seven craft beers, listed below:
- MateVeza & Mill Valley Beerworks Morpho Herbal Ale (Aged with Lactobacillus) with El Porteño Pollo Empanadas
- Cascade Apricot Ale with Pear and Kumkwat Salad with Taragon
- Moonlight Toast (Slightly Burnt) with Chicken Waffles with Salsa Verde
- Kern River Just Outstanding IPA with California Deviled Egg
- Ballast Point Victory at Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter with Churro Dusted Mexican Truffle
- Allagash Curieux Bourbon Barrel Aged Tripel with Pigs in a Puff-pastry Blanket with Spicy Honey Mustard
- Marin Three Flowers IPA (Cask) with Potato Chip Crusted Fried Mac & Cheese
One of my favorite pairings was the Moonlight Toast with the Chicken Waffles. The chicken salsa verde was actually in the waffle itself. It may sound a little odd but it was very delicious. Moonlight Toast paired just perfectly with the flavors in the waffle.
A special treat was the availability of Cascade Apricot Ale, which is a sour lambic fruit beer. Cascade can be found in the SF Bay Area but it can be hard to come by. Another favorite of mine was the GABF Award Winning Marin Three Flowers IPA and the deep fried mac & cheese both were very delicious offerings.
My only criticism of the event was that food ran out well before the end of the event. Given that it is brunch on the first weekend of SF Beer Week, I’d actually rather have them run out of beer first and run out of food second. You can always buy another beer at the bar but when the food is gone it’s gone.
Despite not being able to completely gorge myself, which was probably a good thing, the food was creative yet comforting and the beer selection was superb. I highly recommend attending Beerunch the next time it comes along.
Full disclosure: Public House gave me a complementary ticket to attend this event. I did, however, purchase a ticket for my wife.
More Photos from Beerunch
- Can-a-palooza at 21st Amendment, SF Beer Week 2010
- SF Beer Week 2013 is Almost Here
- SF Beer Week Recap: City Beer Store Tasting with AleSmith
- SF Beer Week 2011 Opening Gala
- Beer & Nosh Dinner at The Summit, SF Beer Week 2011